Thursday, April 7, 2011

Exercise!

There are a few things that I have been wanting to post - but since I just started back to some morning exercise this morning, that topic won out. :)

I think I might have mentioned working out before Christmas (or perhaps that was just on facebook), but those days have been long lost in the craziness of housework and mommy stuff. With my almost completely melancholy personality, I tend toward depression occasionally. Nothing serious enough for medication, but sometimes it can be bad enough to affect my profitability. I admit to having a few days where just staying up and going took effort. I really don't like this (I know, nobody does!), and I'm determined to rise above this as much as is in my power. (also if there is anything I am not, it is a morning person!! Seriously.)

Working out really helped - I was doing anaerobic exercises in the morning. I was feeling better physically and emotionally. However, I'd about die before I'd let Timothy watch me work out. See...his version of crunches, push-ups, weight-lifting, etc. is all fine-tuned. He can do it all and look great while he's doing it. Me?? Yeah, well let's just say I'm not one of those girls with six-pack abs. I was waiting until he'd leave for work, and there just wasn't enough time between that and the kids getting up. So...it fell apart.

I decided a few days ago to start running (I know, I know...I can't do a push-up but I think I can run a mile...). But seriously a friend shared on facebook last night about the "Couch to 5K" running program. Now THAT sounded like something I could do - I CAN sit on the couch! ;) Timothy (bless his heart) agreed to get up early with me, in order for me to have time to run, have my devotions, and get a shower. (he even emptied the dishwasher!) And, I made it! I LOVE having a plan, and I thrive on schedules. Really liking that there is a schedule to tell me exactly what to do, how long to do it, and how to do it! And I feel really great right now! It's by far the best morning I've had in a loooong time.

Anyway, my kids are waking up....gotta get moving. I promise not to blog my daily walk/run, but I don't like to "fail" - hoping blogging this will keep me motivated!

Have a good day everyone - and if you'd like to join me in this little effort, check out http://bit.ly/Couchto5kPlan. (Sorry, can't get it to post a link - you'll have to copy 'n' paste)

9 comments:

Keith and Crystal said...

Go, Holly, go!!!! :)

I agree about exercising before the kids wake up. It helps my whole day go better.

You should have Timothy do it WITH you. I felt the same with doing my workout in front of Keith, but when you do it together it's so much better for both of you.:) You can laugh at each other and encourage each other, too. ;)

Keep up the good work! I enjoy your blog.

Liz said...

Well... I'm on week 5 now. Big step for me, but I'm doin it! Maybe we'll run a 5k together sometime :>)

Holly said...

Lizzy, I didn't know you were doing it too! That's cool. I'm still skeptical about the 5K...do you know that that's 8 times around our park???? AH! :) Crystal, we would like to run together. But that means leaving the kids in the house by themselves. Maybe when they're a little bigger...

Liz said...

I need to come do it at your park sometime... right now I'm running at the church :>) Did you know its like 90 times around the church?! LOL!

I would love for Darrell to do it with me, but he's just not into that :>) He'd rather play basketball... and it helps me to focus when he has the kids...

Sharlyn said...

You go, girl! So proud of you. I ran last night before I went to work. I felt great and had tons of energy all night. Usually I'm dragging between 2-4am. I told myself I should run every night before I go to work...I'm quite certain I'll talk myself out of that! :-) I know what you mean about having a plan. The accountability of "going public" is scary but helpful, too. Keep us posted!

Holly said...

Thanks, Shar! Lizzy, come on over! It's SO nice in the park - especially at 6:30 a.m. :)) It was still dark, very cool, and it sounded like every bird in every tree was singing. Besides...you might get hit by one of those DUI people in the parking lot! :/

The Salisburys said...

OH MY GOODNESS!! I can't believe what I just read! It was like you took the very words outta' my brain! I was just talking with my hubby yesterday about exercise. Somedays I feel like all I do is homeschool and literally sit on the couch! SO DEPRESSING! I am checkin' this little program out right now!

Dixie said...

That is awesome, Holly! Keep up the good work.

:) said...

Wow.... I feel like you read my mind.... I was just flipping through blogs and stumbled upon this one. I write a fitness blog (everything beauty & fitness) and have recently been out of working out(due to an injury) on and off since January.
Now that it is JULY.. it's really getting to me. I was scheduled to run a race in August, which I have to back out of ... and I can't seem to not let it effect my mood.
Just stopping by to THANK YOU, as you post has motivated me to keep moving forward....:)

Love your motivation to others.... keep up the great work!!! xoxo